Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Guest Post | Fun Ideas for Mom to Get in the Shot


 
In this day and age, with digital cameras and free film, most of us are doing an exceptional job of documenting our kids' childhoods through photographs. We have every milestone captured, like when they learned to walk or when they took their first bites of solid food, and hopefully plenty of everyday moments like bath time and riding their bikes. If you're like me and most other mothers, you're the primary family photographer and I'd venture to say that of the 12,384 photos you took this past year, you're probably only in a handful of them, if that. Today, I'd like to inspire you to step out from behind the camera and get in the shot. Do it! Do it for your kiddos and their kiddos. Do it, not just once, but on a regular basis.

I know, it's a lot easier to avoid the camera. Just about everyone feels self-conscious in front of it. I also think that moms have it a bit harder. With two children at home, ages 3 and 1, I seldom have the time to look my best. This is cruel because I need as much time as I can get to camouflage the grey hairs, dark under-eye circles, and extra baby weight I've acquired these past few years. I know I'm not alone here (or at least I hope not!).

Even with all of those factors, you know what gets me in front of the camera? Twenty years from now, I want my kids to have photographic proof that I was there too! I was there on Christmas morning to help them unwrap presents and share in their sense of wonder. I was there, with my funny looking haircut and out-of-style jeans, cheering them on and offering a helping hand when they took their first steps. As their mother, I feel that one of my jobs is to ensure that my kiddos have a loving and fun-filled childhood. When they look back on these photos, they're not going to see that I wasn't wearing make-up or that my hair isn't perfect, they're going to see that they were loved and happy. And who here doesn't think their mothers look gorgeous in old photographs, anyway?

 Now that I've hopefully inspired you, here are some easy and fun ways to get you in front of the camera:

 1.) Give the camera to your husband, friend, or other family member. This is the easiest way. 90% of the photos taken of my children and me have been taken by my husband. During most of our outings and once in awhile around our house, after I've taken some shots, I hand over the camera to my husband with all of the camera settings in place. He's always happy to oblige since he knows how important it is to me. Every Mother's Day, the one thing that I ask for each year is for my husband to take a portrait of my kiddos with me. I'm so happy that I thought of this idea. These pictures mean the world to me and my hope is that my children will feel the same way one day.



2.) Place your camera on a table or use a tripod, then set your timer or use a remote. Remotes are cheap and I think it's safe to say that every camera has a timer function. There are even timer apps that you can download for your smartphone. Every year, we use a tripod and remote to take our family photo for our Christmas card. I like knowing that we'll have at least one nice image of the family taken each year.


3.) When all else fails, hold your arms out. This is simple and always fun.

4.) Another simple and easy method is to use a mirror. Haven't we all done this at some point?


5.) Shoot from your perspective. This method won't include your face, but I still think it's a fun idea to throw into the mix once in awhile. I took this image of my 18 month old daughter and me one morning at a local pick-your-own-farm. I had plans of us picking some apples together, but all she wanted to do was hold my hand and walk the aisles between the rows of trees. This photo illustrates that moment between us perfectly.


6.) Another option is to let a professional photographer take care of capturing you with your family. Sit back and give the responsibility to someone else.
Pin It



Jennifer Krafchik, owner of Jennifer K Photography, has been a wife for eight years, a mama for three, and a professional photographer for two. Capturing life through her lens is one of her greatest obsessions and she looks forward to sharing this love with you each month. Keep up with her life as a mama to two little monkeys as well as her latest work and promotions by following her blog and Facebook page.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! Thank you for you for inspiring me to get in FRONT of the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, me too! I can't wait to use some of these techniques! Thanks Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of the widely read blog post by Allison Tate from last year, "The Mom Stays in the Picture." Also a great read for anyone who hasn't seen it already!

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allison-tate/mom-pictures-with-kids_b_1926073.html

    ReplyDelete