Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Blueberry Muffin Mix Makeover


Duncan Hines is available at most national grocery chains, and is my choice for this mix makeover. We are always running low on time and high healthy ambitions these days. My goal is to make healthy eating easy on moms, while children consume with little or no protest. I have a 7 year old who fears seeds all of the sudden and a 2 year old who wants to only eat red bell peppers for every meal. Trust me, I have to take into account each child’s complaints each time I make a meal. Fresh baked muffins smell so good that even a picky eater might give it a taste test. When in doubt, tell the kids they are “cake muffins” and they will never know they are consuming the healthy additional ingredients that we are going to be throwing in!

You will need to preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl add-

1 Duncan Hines Simple Mornings muffin mix (there a few to choose from, I picked the Wild Maine Blueberry mix without the streusel topping.)
2 large eggs, whites only
2/3 cup Water
1/3 cup unsweetened natural applesauce
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon raw wheat germ
1 Tablespoon ground chia seeds
Raw walnuts optional

Mix well together

Carefully fold in 1 ½ cups of fresh blueberries. The mix comes with a can of blueberries but always use fresh if you have them on hand. I place the can on a shelf and save till can food drives and use them as donations or use them later in yogurt parfaits, smoothies, or other recipes when I am in a pinch.

Lightly spray muffin pan with EVOO cooking spray or line with paper liners. 

Fill almost to the top, yields about 10-12 muffins.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment