Friday, May 31, 2013

Cleaning Produce with Vinegar


I try and buy local as much as I can. Farmer's markets, produce stands, & local mom and pop grocers and farms. I am also quite picky about organic vs. conventional. Though there is controversy and studies on organic not having more nutritional value
than conventional grown produce, I still pick the organic version where and when available. With the large amount of produce we consume in my home, I feel that the less chemicals I feed my family the better. When produce gets shipped cross country and in some cases across the globe, in order to survive the long journey to your local supermarket, produce gets treated with all sorts of chemicals to extend it's shelf-life. Unfortunately, running water from a tap does not take everything off. Peeling is good but not all goodies can be peeled. When you can not peel the outer shell off, try this!

Cleaning fruit and veggies with vinegar

Fill a tub or clean sink with water.
Add one cup of vinegar and stir.
Place fruit/veggies in the wash and let soak for 10-15 minutes.
Rinse with cold water and place in a clean container.
The wax and film will be removed along with dirt and bacteria that can grow in the cracks and under leafy stems.
This is great for all berries and will prevent mold, keeping them good in your fridge for weeks!
Let us know what you do to clean your fruits and veggies by commenting below.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment