Saturday, May 18, 2013

Mix Make-Over: Trader Joe's Blondie Bars



I am a bit of a nut about finding a healthy(ish) baking mix that I can embellish with my own “throw ins”. Let’s be honest, I am a work from home mom of 2 who likes to bake but sometimes there is not enough hours in the day. I prefer homemade to store bought and like to cook meals at home because I know what is going into my body. There are few restaurants that I trust to cook meals for me and my family so we “treat” ourselves here and there but for the most part we enjoy family meals together at home. My husband has a sweet tooth and I would lie if I said I don’t give into baking him (and I) a treat once in a while. The guilt takes over as soon as I turn on the oven and I am forced to scour my kitchen for healthy “throw ins” to make myself feel better when I dig in with the hubby. One of our favorite guilty pleasures is Trader Joe’s Mixes. Their Blondie Bar Baking Mix is delicious and irresistible.  I recently cooked up a batch of bars while adding some “throw ins” of my own;

1 Package of Trader Joe’s Blondie Bar Baking Mix calls for:

  • ·         1 full package of mix

  • ·         1 large egg  

  • ·         1 stick of butter

My version calls for:
  • ·         1 full package of mix
  • ·         1 large egg
  • ·         ½ stick of unsalted butter (melted)
  • ·         ½ cup greek yogurt or unsweetened organic applesauce
  • ·         1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ·         1 teaspoon organic honey
  • ·         2 Tablespoon raw wheat germ
·         Optional: ½ cup walnuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios or my favorite, macadamia nuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line bottom of dish with parchment or spray EVOO cooking spray lightly coating class dish. Mix egg, butter, honey and greek yogurt. Add mix, wheat germ, cinnamon and nuts if desired. Mix until soft dough forms. Spread dough in dish, pushing to corners and leveling top. Bake 30 minutes, longer for crispy bars. Cool on wire rack.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment