Friday, April 12, 2013

Let's Get Sili!




My shopping list has been given a nutritional boost! Thank goodness for the Sili squeeze. This
little silicone pouch has made my wheels turn on what I can blend into my toddler’s meals and snacks to
give him the nutrient dense power foods that so many picky toddlers lack.


The first foods that I thought of were applesauce, smoothies and yogurts. These might
be good options for my son who is still rough around the edges with the use of a spoon. By ‘rough
around the edges’ I mean he just dumps spoonful after spoonful into his lap and he just ends up licking
the remnants off of the spoon. There was a point when my husband and I gave him a cup of yogurt and
told ourselves he would have to just figure it out for himself, no matter how big of a mess it turned out
to be. After the yogurt finger painting was over, I was convinced that there had to be something better.
A more innovative idea to help this boy until he was coordinated enough for utensils. I tested my luck
one afternoon at Greenberries. I came across the Sili squeeze pouch and instantly I had to believe that
this was made for my son. Our first try at the Sili was with a strawberry and banana smoothie. After her
pulled it back from his face and gave a big “uummm!”, I figured this would be a great opportunity to
stuff this little pouch with anything I was reluctant to give him before for fear that it would cause a
disaster. Not to mention I could deceive him and throw in some ‘super-foods’ that he may not try
otherwise. To me this was a mom win. My favorite blended concoctions consist of,

  • Avocado, greek yogurt, a teaspoon of lemon juice and a handful of chickpeas or hummus
  • Unsweetened applesauce, blueberries, strawberries, spinach leaves & wheat germ
  • Banana, pineapple, orange juice & yogurt
  • Broccoli florets, applesauce, ginger, orange & pineapple juice

You can add such phenomenal spices and treats, chia seeds, wheat germ, flax seed, ginger, cinnamon,
you name it! This will create a life-long pallet for clean good eating! Try it, when you child thinks the
produce department or a farmers market is the “candy store”, you will thank yourself!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment