Friday, April 26, 2013

Earth Week 2013: Earth Day at Greenberries



Greenberries is a local small, but growing, business that thrives on the locals and community to make our company a successful one. One of my many favorite things about greenberries is when we get to plan events for the community where it is not so much about sales and business but more about community awareness, education and camaraderie.

This past weekend, we planned an Earth Day 2013 event at the store to share with our customers, and anyone who wanted to join in, ways to enjoy our “trash” a bit more before you throw it in the recycling bin. I had been saving recycling from the store, my house and my neighbors for that matter, for close to a month. Collecting anything from cardboard cereal containers to plastic lids from drink bottles. I cut out the fronts of boxes into many pieces we put into a pint container from blueberries, creating a puzzle for the kids to try.

After I realized how many cardboard tubes I had collected, I thought I would try to create a “windchime” by cutting out the bottom of a small milk carton, hanging the tubes from yarn. The children who participated got to attach their picture to a mural located just inside the store, and become part of greenberries art work history. Many of them were excited to be “famous” because all the customers would see their creative art.

Upon departure the children were given stickers, pencils and some fun recycling games to play at home. It was a lot of fun in the sun on a beautiful Sunday, just enjoying the Earth. That is what the event was meant to be all about and I believe we achieved that! Stop by the store till the end of the month to add your part to the wall mural. What did you do for Earth Week 2013? We hope to see you next year!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment