Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A Handmade Gift Idea for Your Toddler: Photo Flash Cards




Two years ago, when my daughter was 18 months old, I gave her a set of photo flash cards for Christmas.  The set consisted of 25 laminated photographs of our closest family and friends.  On the front, each card also contained the name of each loved one.  If you need a gift idea for your toddler or another young child in your life, then a set of these may be just the ticket. 


These cards were a big hit with my daughter, as you can see in these photos (she liked them almost as much as she liked hats!).  I'm happy to say that, at the age of 3, she still loves playing with them to this day.


Not only do you get a lot of bang for your buck, they're really easy to make.  I designed each card in Photoshop CS4, but you could easily use something as simple as Microsoft Word.  If you have the time and the scrapbooking talent, you could put these together without the use of your computer, using just your stash of pretty paper, stickers, adhesives, and fancy scissors.  I think this project would turn out so cute using paper crafting products!

Each of our cards measures 4 x 6 inches, but you could obviously make them any size that you wish.  I learned the hard way that photo paper does not laminate well, so I recommend that you print your cards on regular paper or cardstock.  This is what I ended up doing and it worked out really well.  I had our cards printed and laminated at Staples.  I used the cutting tools that they have available to cut the cards before and after they were laminated.

Once the cards were complete, I sewed a quick, little bag to store them in.  If you're not handy with a sewing machine, then a box will do just fine.  You may want to figure out what container you'll use beforehand and plan your card size accordingly.

Good luck!  Don't hesitate to ask me any questions that you may have and please let me know if you make something like this - I'd loved to know!




Pin It



Jennifer Krafchik, owner of Jennifer K Photography, has been a wife for eight years, a mama for three, and a professional photographer for two. Capturing life through her lens is one of her greatest obsessions and she looks forward to sharing this love with you each month. Keep up with her life as a mama to two little monkeys as well as her latest work and promotions by following her blog and Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment